I do not subscribe to the view that art is a magical once-in-a-lifetime secret opportunity that you need mysterious hidden knowledge to master. It isn’t. Some people grow up in a house with a music room containing a piano & a cello & a harp and learn that stuff from the day they were born & some people do not.
If you didn’t, that doesn’t mean you can’t learn. Those privileged people have all the same things as you can have, but you might need a leg up to find out things that others were just born with. This doesn’t make them better than you, just luckier.
If you care about a thing, learn it, practice it, ask questions of people who know, improve by failing a little harder every day & eventually, you will be the thing that you feel like you are.
My photographs all have the metadata attached so if you care, you can see what settings I used. Click through the galleries to see the detail. I shoot in manual mode because I’m a control freak but it’s nothing you can’t do yourself. I use the equipment listed below to make things with, some of it belongs to Josienne & some of it belongs to me & we share it all.
If you’re curious how I made a picture or a sound, get in touch and I would be happy to share. Meantime, here is a list of our stuff for people who enjoy knowing that stuff, like me!
- Gibson Advanced jumbo acoustic guitar
- Alvarez MD60 jumbo acoustic guitar
- Custom NCG Telecaster electric guitar
- Gibson ES120t electric guitar (1956)
- Danelectro Baritone electro guitar
- Custom finish Squier Precision bass guitar w/bare knuckle p/ups.
- Ken Miller 3/4 double / upright bass (2006)
- Alamansa 447 nylon strung acoustic guitar
- Cornell Romany Plus amp
- Cornell Traveller amp
- Fender Deluxe Reverb amp (1970s)
- Markbass CMD 121 bass amp
- Various secret pedals I can’t tell you about yet for other reasons
- Canon 5D mkiii – digital camera
- Canon 1v – 35mm film camera
- Canon C100 mkii – cinema / movie camera
- Canon EF 85mmm f/1.2 L lens
- Canon EF 24mm f/1.4 L lens
- Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 US ii L lens
- Various Tiffen Black / Pro Mist filters
- Shoulder Rig (Vocas, Shape, Wooden Camera)
- Atomos Ninja HD Recorder
- Miller Air Video Tripod
- 3 Legged Thing Tripod
- Sound Devices MixPre3 ii
- Sennheiser MKH416 Microphone & rycote shield
- Ronin M Gimbal
- All Peli cased, Mindshift bagged, charged & ready to shoot.
- Profoto B10+ with deep diffuser umbrella & softlight adapter
- Profoto D2 1000 with white beauty dish, grid & softlight diffuser
- Aputure 120d ii with large softlight diffuser
- Profoto Canon AirTTL controller